Moffat County, CO
Old Ladore School
Colo. Hwy. 318, by Green River
National Register 2/24/1975, 5MF.1127
The circa 1911 wood frame rural schoolhouse remained in use as a school until 1947. After its closure, it continued to function as a community center. Listed under Rural School Buildings in Colorado Multiple Property Submission.
White-Indian Contact Site
National Register 2/8/1977, 5MF.605
The site is believed to be a contact point with Native Americans and possibly the location of Fort Davy Crockett, a fur trading post dating from the mid 1830s. The isolated valley known as Brown’s Hole was a favorite rendezvous and wintering ground for trappers. For several years after the fort was abandoned in 1840, fur traders continued to rendezvous at the location.
First National Bank Building
502-506 Yampa Ave.
National Register 7/17/1997, 5MF.1239
The two-story brick building was constructed in 1917 during the period of local economic optimism that followed the coming of the railroad in 1913. It remains Craig’s most important example of early 20th century commercial architecture. (1997 photograph.)
Marcia / Pullman Car-David H. Moffat
341 E. Victory Way
National Register 6/20/1975, 5MF.1128
The customized car was built by the Pullman Company in 1906 and named in honor of David Moffat’s daughter, Marcia. The interior woodwork is solid mahogany imported from Africa and there are sleeping quarters for up to twelve people. As Moffat’s personal car during the building years of a number of Colorado railroads, it is a symbol of his influence and commitment to expediting rail transportation across Colorado. The car was presented to the town of Craig by the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad in 1953. (1981 photograph.)
This 1922 two-story light brick building was designed by John J. Huddart. The National Guard moved to a new facility in 1974, and the building was deeded to Moffat County in 1977 with the stipulation that it continue to be used for community purposes. Since 1990, it has housed the Museum of Northwest Colorado. (1997 photograph.)
The First Christian Church of Craig (The Center of Craig)
601 Yampa Ave.
State Register 12/9/1992, 5MF.3377
The original portion of the church dates from 1902. It was constructed with 12x6 inch sawn logs that were covered with lap siding. The gabled roof is steeply pitched, and the south slope includes a large hipped roof dormer. The southwest corner entry is topped with an octagonal bell tower. Two large additions extend to the east, and a smaller addition is on the north. The building now serves as a community and art center. (2000 photograph.)
660 Yampa Ave.
National Register 1/11/1996, 5MF.3875
The 1924 apartments are associated with the pattern of community planning and development which occurred when the Craig area experienced a spurt of economic and population growth resulting from the local discovery of oil. They were the first modern apartments to be built in town as a response to the need for affordable housing.
Castle Park Archaeological District
Address restricted, Dinosaur vicinity
National Register 1/3/2006, 5MF.5803
The Castle Park Archaeological District is significant in the areas of Prehistoric Archaeology and Architecture, notably for its cultural context representing a cohesive group of sites that were a prehistoric community. The architecture and artifacts at the site demonstrate that domestic activities were centered on prehistoric agriculture and resource acquisition. The archaeological information preserved has informed and is likely to inform researchers in prehistory on regional interaction and social history, along with important aspects of prehistoric technology, chronology, paleo-climate, and subsistence-related architecture and settlement models dating to the Formative Era.
Rial Chew Ranch Complex
US Hwy. 40, Dinosaur National Monument
National Register, 5MF.2002
The complex is representative of a family operated ranch as it developed over more than fifty years and two generations. The family operated the ranch from 1902 through the early 1970s when it was purchased by the National Park Service. Among the surviving buildings and structures are an early dugout dwelling believed to date from the 1880s and the most recent dwelling, an intact log ranch house constructed in 1940. Listed under Dinosaur National Monument Multiple Resource Area. (1962 photograph.)
Denis Julien Inscription
US Hwy. 40, Dinosaur National Monument
National Register, 5MF.2357.2
The initials "DJ" and the year 1838 are inscribed on a canyon wall. Denis Julien had a long career as a trapper and mountain man and left similar inscriptions in Utah, some of which are now hidden by reservoirs. His last inscription is believed to date to 1841. Listed under Dinosaur National Monument Multiple Resource Area. (1985 photograph.)